Cufflinks are elegant accessories that can be worn with any formal outfit. These men’s accessories are typically worn with French cuffs. And they are considered formal items of jewellery. They are usually seen during business meetings or other formal settings.
But what if you want to use cufflinks on a shirt with buttons? Can it be done? Most likely. In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to use cufflinks on a shirt with buttons.
Can You Put Cufflinks On A Shirt With Buttons?
Can you put cufflinks on a shirt with buttons? Yes, you can put cufflinks on a shirt with buttons, but there are a few things you have to keep in mind. Cufflinks are traditionally worn with French cuffs. These are designed to be fastened with cufflinks instead of buttons. However, if your shirt has barrel cuffs (the most common type of cuff with buttons), you can still wear cufflinks with a few modifications. And yes, an appropriate cufflink will still look great on a shirt with buttons.
How to use cufflinks on a shirt with buttons
You can use cufflinks on a shirt with buttons by making extra buttonholes on the cuff. This will allow the cufflink to actually fit into the cuff. Here is the specific guide about how to put cufflinks on a shirt with buttons.
1. Check Your Cuff Style:
Before you start digging about how to use cufflinks with a shirt with buttons, there’s something you need to check. it’s essential to determine whether your shirt has the right cuff style for cufflinks. The cuff style you’re looking for is called a convertible cuff. Convertible cuffs have buttonholes on both sides, allowing you to wear either cufflinks or buttons.
2. Use Existing Buttonholes:
If you do indeed have a convertible cuff shirt, you’re in luck. Using cufflinks on this type of shirt is as simple as removing the buttons and replacing them with your cufflinks. Make sure your cufflinks fit snugly into the buttonholes, and you’re good to go.
3. Create Buttonholes on Barrel Cuffs:
But what if your shirt has barrel cuffs (the most common type of cuff)? Can you wear cufflinks on a shirt with buttons? Probably not. In that case, you’ll need to make some modifications. Barrel cuffs typically have no buttonholes on either side. Here’s what you can do:
- Buttonhole Placement: Start by deciding where you want the buttonholes for your cufflinks to be. Typically, they should align with where the buttons would be on a convertible cuff shirt.
- Make Buttonholes: Using a sharp pair of scissors or a seam ripper, carefully create buttonholes on both ends of each cuff. Make sure the buttonholes are neat and secure, as they will need to support the cufflinks.
4. Long Barrel Cuffs:
Can you wear cufflinks with a shirt that has buttons and a long barrel cuff? Yes, that’s also doable. If your shirt has long barrel cuffs (cuffs that are longer than usual), you might want to add even more buttonholes. It’ll distribute the weight of the cufflinks better. In this case, fold the cuffs back on themselves and create three additional buttonholes per cuff. This added reinforcement will help keep your cufflinks securely in place. So, now you know how to wear cufflinks on a regular shirt with buttons.
How To Wear Cufflinks
Wearing the cufflinks themselves is way easier than making the shirt with buttons suitable for the cufflinks. All you have to do is to insert the cufflink into the buttonholes and you are good to go. However, the important thing to remember is to select the cufflinks that complement your outfit.
- Choose cufflinks that match your outfit and the occasion.
- Fold back the French cuffs of your shirt to expose the holes. (in the case of Convertible Cuffs move on to the next step)
- Align the cuff’s holes on both sides.
- Insert the cufflinks, securing them with the closure mechanism.
- Coordinate cufflinks with other accessories for a polished look.
Things To Consider While Wearing Cufflinks On A Shirt With Buttons
Here are a few things to keep in mind when using a regular shirt with cufflinks:
- You can take your shirt to a tailor to make the buttonholes look professionally made.
- Make sure that the buttonholes on your shirt cuffs are large enough to accommodate the cufflinks.
- If you are wearing convertible cuffs, make sure that the buttonholes are not visible when the cuff is buttoned.
- Choose cufflinks that complement your shirt and suit.
- The shirt should be fitted well and the cuffs should be the right length.
- The cufflinks should be appropriate for the occasion. For example, if you are attending a formal event, you may want to choose a more traditional pair of cufflinks.
- The cufflinks should match other accessories, such as your watch and tie.
That’s how to put on cufflinks on a shirt with buttons.
If know the right way, how to wear cufflinks on a shirt with buttons will be an easy task. As mentioned on this blog, it might be a bit tricky to wear cufflinks with a shirt with buttons. Whether you can wear cufflinks with a shirt with buttons actually depends on the shirt cuffs. However, you might have heard if there’s a will, there’s a way. In the same way, if you want to add another layer of style and elegance to your formal look, you can do it with any shirt. Just make your shirt cufflink wearable and you can add an additional layer of ‘something special’ to your styling.